The Wish

Walking down the alley, I find myself rummaging through the bin for food. My weak, wrinkled hands scrape against the metal of the bin. I find orange peels, apple cores and a half eaten muffin. I struggle to swallow the muffin, but force it down my throat. I sigh. Another day, another struggle. I wait outside the shop. Hours pass. I chech the time inside the shop. The clock reads 3:00pm. I keep waiting. I look at thetime again. My eyes squinting at the clock, it reads 6:00pm. I walk around town. At that moment, I stumble across a large, white fountain. I scoured my pockets of my ripped pants. I find a coin and kiss it. I walk over to the fountain, my feet aching as I step on cobblestones. I don’t care. I close my eyes as I reach the fountain and toss the coin in the gleaming water. The coin plops as it sinks to the bottom. I stay there for a moment, saying a little prayer to myself. I walk back to where I stay when I hear a familiar voice. Looking back, I spot my friend. We hug each other and have a little conversation. I tell him how I am struggling. He was upset. He asked me how I would feel if I came and lived with him I said “it’s ok, I’m alright”. He insisted. I couldn’t believe it. My eyes filled with tears and I felt joy. That was when I remembered my wish for a better life.